Perks like free meals and on site laundry are nice. But, if expectations aren't carefully managed, it can start to feel like these kinds of benefits are only being offered as a mechanism to get employees to spend more time at the office. Because the novelty of these kinds of benefits quickly wears off, employers need to think of creative ways delight current and prospective employees to stay competitive when talent is scarce.
Here are some things that employers might want to consider:
- Unexpectedly providing public recognition for a job well done
- Thoughtful birthday presents / celebrations that refer to inside jokes
- Holding community celebrations for team accomplishments
- Providing time off when employees are going through tough times in their personal lives
- Inviting inspiring speakers to team lunches
- Offering stipends for learning that have nothing to do with employees' work duties